Board index GT2 R.I.P. John Williamson

R.I.P. John Williamson

GT2 Class Discussions

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 pm
McKinney28 User avatar
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

I just got word that my dear friend John Williamson passed away at his home in Los Angeles , CA on Thursday, February 7, 2013. He was a Great Driver, GT-2 Competitor, and a Porsche 914 Enthusiast who truly lived and breathed 914s, 911s and the Porsche dream.

John, "JW", "Otto", "Spanky", "Dude" or whatever name you liked to call him was a true Porsche and SCCA gentleman and will be missed by many from all over the world. Here some of my OTTO stories:

1.) I met John at a PCA time trial at Riverside in '77. New to Riverside, I asked for an Instructor, and got this guy named John Williamson. They said that he was the best. So on second day, John jumped into my bone stock Sepia brown 1971 911and on the FIRST hot lap went faster than my best time on Saturday, all with his cigar still in his mouth. We became friends that day. I will never forget going to the social after the event and drinking beer from John's 914 ice chest. Those who remember those days will know what I mean.

2.) Fast forward to 1990 when I show up at Willow Springs with a "Real" racecar, (an SCCA GT-3 914-4) that I had built from scratch. I pitted with my ol' buddy John off at one end of the paddock like he liked to do. The little 4-cylinder was not up to the pace and John said something like.."Porsche never raced the 914-4 for a reason so let's put a six in it!" I told him that I could not afford a six right now, but he insisted that we could do it "on the cheap" and we took the car directly from the track to his shop in Venice for the conversion. Needless to say we made it to the very next Willow event with a six in my car and GT-2 on the side, racing against John. We became teammates, and this is how the "Otto Mad Dicks Motorsports" team began. If you look in the old pictures of “Rudy” you will notice that there is a space between the two "D's in Maddicks, which was a pun and started the team name "Mad Dicks". John loved puns.

3.) This brings us to the "RNFH" on the back bumpers of our GT-2 cars. This was John's way of letting everyone know that we were "Race Nazi's From Hell".

I could go on, and maybe I will later, but the point is I MISS BY BUDDY JOHN.

Enjoyable read on John.
http://www.yovenice.com/2013/02/10/rip- ... illiamson/

RIP Dude

Chuck McKinney
AKA "Check Book Chuck" - a nickname that John gave me. (whole nother story)
White GT-2 914-6 #28 (Sold in 1995)
Sepia Brown 1971 911T
SCCA GT-3 Nissan 240sx #28
Chuck McKinney
Member 111261
San Francisco Region
GT-3 #28 Nissan 240SX

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm
mlewis Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

sad to hear about this. we were always competitors more than friends but i respected the guy for sure. definitely a true racer. he had a quote from me stenciled on the back of his car for years... LOL!!

Michael Lewis

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 am
stottapex7 New Member

We had many great races with John in GT-2. He was always a fierce competitor and a source of great entertainment. He will be missed

John Stott

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm
tpatton Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

Chuck,

Very sorry to here the news. I only met John the same year that I met you for the 1st time at Rd Atlanta Runoffs 1992. Great competitor, John will be missed.

Tom Patton

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm
McKinney28 User avatar
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

mlewis wrote:
sad to hear about this. we were always competitors more than friends but i respected the guy for sure. definitely a true racer. he had a quote from me stenciled on the back of his car for years... LOL!!

Michael Lewis

Mike,

I know John would have appreciated you comments here, and as one of his best frieinds I do also. Only certain people know the story about the "Quote" that was on the back bumper of all three of our "Otto Mad Dicks Motorsports" Porsches, and it was that story in the San Diego Region newsletter back in the late 80's that lead to the start of "NASPORT". It was a great story, and I still have that copy some where in my archives.

otto.jpg

RIP John

Chuck McKinney
Nasport GT-3 Nissan #28
Chuck McKinney
Member 111261
San Francisco Region
GT-3 #28 Nissan 240SX

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am
rikgray Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type

I met John when my daily driver was a Porsche 914-V6, and I lived in Venice a block from his shop. We did some bench racing, and I mentioned dreaming about racing at Daytona. He said that I could do it, just let him be my guide. John took me to Holtville, put me in Rudy, his 914-6 GT2, and showed me what racing could be. Within two years I was driving the Daytona 24 in a Porsche RSR. Thank you John Williamson, you changed my life.

Return to GT2